What Qualities Make for a Truly Awesome Tanning Ledge?
Built-in tanning ledges in fiberglass pools have exploded in popularity over the last few years. They’re not just the perfect spot for sun worshippers. They’re also a marvelous place for children to enjoy the water, especially when they’re first learning to swim. Of course the kiddos still need their swim floats, but being able to gradually get used to the water by sitting in a shallow depth can help them get acclimated to being in the pool until they’re ready to take the next step and start to swim. And if you have a dog in the family who also loves the water, you’ll likely be sharing your tanning ledge with him or her as well. Dogs love tanning ledges because it gives them a place to chill between forays into the water. All told, your built-in tanning ledge will be the social center of your backyard pool oasis. So the question really isn’t, “Do I want a tanning ledge in my fiberglass pool?” The question is, “How can I be sure I’m getting the very best tanning ledge for my fiberglass pool?”
Because not all tanning ledges are created equal, let’s take a look at the qualities of a great tanning ledge.
- Length and width. Given how many swimmers (both two and four-legged) will want to share the tanning ledge, size is the most important factor. Check into the sizes of the ledge loungers you want, and then make sure that your tanning ledge is long enough to accommodate them. Most ledge loungers will require at least 7 feet by 8 feet each, and you’ll still want room for those who aren’t lounging. As long as you’re at it, you might as well get the largest tanning ledge possible so there will be plenty of room for everyone to chill on it.
- Depth. The ideal depth of a tanning ledge is 12 inches. That gives you just enough water to cool your heels (and your seat!) while still enjoying plenty of sunshine. You’ll find some designs out there that may feature a tanning ledge with a depth of less than 12 inches. They won’t give you quite enough to splash around and keep cool in.
- Non-skid surface. Because you’ll be spending lots of time hanging out on your tanning ledge, you’ll want to be sure that it’s has a safe, non-skid surface. The smooth surface of a fiberglass pool is great for kids, pets and adults alike, but non-skid surfaces on tanning ledges ensure that you have solid footing where you need it most.
- The extras. To take your tanning ledge experience to the next level, make sure the fiberglass pool design you pick has the option for fun extras such as umbrella holders and bubblers. Since your tanning ledge is about to become party central in your backyard, you might as well kick it up a notch.
- Solid support. This is by far the most important differentiation between a good and a great tanning ledge experience over the life of your fiberglass pool. There are several methods for installing and providing support for built-in tanning ledges, and some methods are much better than others. When you’re choosing your fiberglass pool, make sure you’re also inquiring about how your tanning ledge will be installed and supported. Traditional methods (link to Annie’s blog) like backfill, flowable fill and pier installation are okay, but if they’re not done
by a pool installer with good experience in installing tanning ledges, the ledge can have a hollow feel under your feet, and the backfill underneath it can settle over time. Your absolute best bet is to choose a fiberglass pool that offers theBackfill Eliminator-an innovative system that provides solid, lifetime structural support for your tanning ledge. Here’s how it works.
Investing in a fiberglass pool for your backyard will bring a lifetime of fun and great memories for you, your family and your friends. Tanning ledges are just one of the amazing features available in fiberglass pools. Pool buying is a big decision, so be sure to do your research and get the perfect pool for you!
About Thursday Pools
Thursday Pools designs and manufactures the world’s most durable and elegantly crafted fiberglass pools. We are ISO 9001 certified, which means that fiberglass pool shells are made with the highest standards and from the best quality material available. We are also ISO 14001 certified, which means we are committed to environmental stewardship.
Our one-piece, inground fiberglass swimming pool manufacturing facility is based out of Fortville, Indiana. At Thursday Pools, we aspire to be the world’s most respected fiberglass pool manufacturer and to help our customers create a lifetime of memories with their family and friends. Our innovations, commitment to quality and beautiful designs set us apart. Thursday Pools is the creator of the world’s first beach entry (or zero entry) fiberglass pool. Get a free estimate on the fiberglass pool of your dreams today. With Thursday Pools, your weekend starts early!