Fiberglass pools are the most environmentally friendly pools.
In general, fiberglass pools are naturally better for the environment than vinyl or gunite, for three reasons:
- No replacing liners. Vinyl liners must be replaced every seven to 10 years. Most likely, that liner will end up in a landfill.
- No acid washing or resurfacing. Gunite pools must be resurfaced every four to six years and sometimes require an acid wash to remove unsightly stains from algae build-up. These chemicals will then be absorbed into your groundwater.
- Lower pool maintenance chemical use. The gel coat surface of a fiberglass pool helps keep your pool maintenance chemical use lower than vinyl or gunite.
Thursday Pools takes it one step better.
Thursday Pools is the fiberglass pool industry’s only ISO 14001:2015 certified manufacturer. ISO 14001 is the international standard that specifies requirements for businesses to voluntarily follow in order to create an effective environmental management system (EMS). Using this framework, businesses can develop their own best practices for environmental stewardship. Thursday Pools first joined the elite group of manufacturers who hold the ISO 14001 designation in November 2017 and then renewed their commitment to it by completing the steps for the updated ISO 14001:2015 certification in October 2018.
The Thursday Pools ISO 14001:2015 certification in action.
As a result of their commitment to ISO 14001:2015 standards, Thursday Pools has developed an EMS that actively promotes the most efficient use of all natural resources and employs the manufacturing processes and systems that result in the smallest environmental footprint possible.
The Benefit of Environmentally Friendly Pools | What a Thursday Pools Entails:
- The best raw materials. In conjunction with their ISO 9001 commitment to quality, Thursday Pools sources the finest and most environmentally friendly raw materials. This means:
- Partnering with Owens Corningand now exclusively using their Advantex® E-CR fiberglass.
- Advantex® E-CR fiberglass is produced in North America and is Boron-free.
- Additionally, Advantex® E-CR fiberglass uses less energy to manufacture and ship.
- A Title V Air Permit. Thursday Pools works with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) to maintain a Title V air permit that minimizes the environmental exposure by the following. This means:
- Using only Low HAP (Hazardous Air Pollutants) for all of the gel coats and resins.
- Using only Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) for all of their release agents and solvents used in the manufacturing process.
- Using control equipment to eliminate the generation of all PM (Particulate Matter).
- Minimal waste program. Thursday Pools’ employees implement practices in the manufacturing process to minimize the generation of PM and VOC’s with state-of-the-art equipment and procedures:
- Using exclusively non-atomizing resin spray.
- Using low pressure on all equipment pumps.
- Using HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray guns for all solvents and release agents.
- Recycling program. Thursday Pools has created and implemented a company-wide recycling program. This program includes:
- Recycling of all production waste, such as light bulbs and batteries.
- Commitment to continuous improvement. This commitment includes:
- Constantly reviewing and measuring the organization’s current and future processes for environmental impact.
- Proactively reducing their environmental footprint.
- Creating a safer and healthier work environment for their employees.
So, if having the best quality fiberglass pool that’s also an environmentally friendly pool is important to you, it’s easy to feel good about choosing a Thursday Pools fiberglass pool. If you’re ready to take the plunge with your new fiberglass inground pool, get a free estimate today and get YOUR weekend started early.
About Thursday Pools
Thursday Pools manufactures one-piece fiberglass pool shells in their facility in Fortville, Indiana. Because of their commitment to innovation and quality, they’re able to offer two industry-leading warranties.
Thursday Pools is the creator of the beach entry fiberglass pool designs (Patent US 10,358,837 and 10,472,839). Grace, their rectangular design and Sandal, their free-form design are currently available to order. They have also recently debuted the world’s first Sunken Living Room fiberglass pools.